The Linga Linga area has much to offer in addition to the world class fishing and diving, including excellent birding in the mangroves, a resident dugong “sirenian”, pristine tidal islets and long stretches of deserted beach. The peninsula is often referred to by the locals as an island because waters can rise over the sands at high tides, making access by road impossible. Castelo do Mar, the Lodge, is of historical significance and has preserved remains of a Norwegian whaling station that dates back to around 1911 to 1915
- Inhambane is located 478kms north of Maputo, the capital of Mozambique.
- Castelo do Mar is at Ponta da Linga Linga, the northern peninsula on the mouth of the Inhambane Bay.
- The peninsula fairly unknown and although it is accessible by 4×4 on rough road, it is easier by boat from Inhambane or Maxixe.
- GPS co-ords: S.23’44”11. E035’23”47
- The Castle Rooms – x6 rooms each with en suite shower/WC.
No Under 12 years.
- The Manor House – x4 en suite rooms. Children welcome. Ideal for incentive or leisure groups. All rooms with shower, one with bath. Beachfront Deluxe Rooms – x8 luxury rooms. Children Welcome. A max of two children sharing room with parents. En suite with separate bath, shower and WC.
- All rooms can be twin or double and are air-conditioned with ceiling fan, en suite shower and separate toilet, king-size beds, hairdryer, luxury linen and guest amenities. Coffee/Tea tray delivered on request
- Air-conditioned with a lounge area includes a long table for board games, two pool-tables and two black jack/poker tables.
Library & Lounge
- An air-conditioned quiet area with an extensive and varied selection of books and magazines.
Swimming pool & Deck
- With direct access on to the beach
- Suitable for 40 covers.
- Meals are served with passion and flair and décor is in keeping with the whale station history. An excellent wine selection is offered.
- Children accommodated in the Beachfront rooms and The Manor House.
- Under 3 years free.
- Discounted rates for children under 12 sharing with parents and in own room.
- No under 12 years in The Castle Rooms
- Non-motorised water-sports complimentary including kayaking and gypsy sailing.
- Mallard Swift, mono hull powered by 2 x 75 hp Mariner outboards is available for diving and other excursions.
- 40ft luxury catamaran for scuba and sun downer excursions.
- 4.5 m rubber duck available for snorkelling and island excursions.
- Authentic Mozambique dhow for cruises to Pansy Island.
- A qualified divers’ paradise; dive instructor on request; all equipment available to rent
- Whale boat wreck on the beach, nearby tidal islands and dive sites
Deep Sea Fishing
- Castelo do Mar Lodge is heading up a conservation initiative in the Linga Linga Peninsula which is being heavily netted, promoting Tag and Release of Billfish and accordingly, is IGFA registered.
- 2 x 28ft Nova Cats powered by 2 x 150 hp Yamaha outboards and fully rigged to suit the most serious angler including well maintained communication systems, fish finders, GPS and radar, Penn International Marlin reels, out riggers, down riggers, fighting chair, rods, lures and live bait.
- Pansy Island
- Mangrove swamp
- Sunset cruise by Cat or Dhow
- Bird watching incl. flamingos
- Shopping at Inhambane market
- Water Skiing & Tubing
- Dolphin and Dugong spotting
- Daily LAM Mozambique Airlines flights to Inhambane International Airport.
- 1hr 40mins from OR Tambo.
- Then a 10 min. vehicle transfer to the harbour followed by a boat across the Bay.
- Private flight charter on request.
Access is possible by the EN1 Highway via Maxixe through to Morrumbene & Linga Linga but 4×4 is essential for the remaining 18kms to Castelo do Mar. It is recommended to leave vehicle in Inhambane and take boat transfer to the Lodge.